San Luis Obispo County constructed the present-day Avila Pier in 1908, shortly after construction of the breakwater at Point San Luis. Originally, the pier contained a large warehouse and several hoists, and was an important fishing and passenger wharf. The pier suffered major storm damage in 1953, 1955, 1960, 1969, 1973, and again in March 1983, just before the transfer of ownership of Avila Beach and properties from the State and County to the Harbor District in 1984. The Harbor District rebuilt and renovated the pier, which is an important part of the landscape and environment of Avila Beach. In June of 2015, the Harbor District made the decision to close the Avila Pier based on structural engineering recommendations. Please see the updates below for the most recent information on the status of the Avila Pier project.
In April 2016, the Harbor District signed an agreement with Matchfire (formerly Studio Good) to help define the role stakeholders would play in the rehabilitation of the Avila Pier, including fundraising. Please check back soon for fundraising information.